Thursday, August 16, 2012

Class #1

Dan and I went to our first childbirth class last night.  This is something I had been stressing about.  First, I didn't know how we were going to find the time to get one in, I don't know Dan's schedule ahead of time and all the weekend classes are booked solid until well after our due date.  Secondly, I didn't really know how much I wanted to learn about childbirth because the thought of it terrified me.

Turns out one of Dan's trips got cancelled and he got a last minute four days at home.  I also know he's scheduled to fly back into DC next Wednesday.  There just happened to be a two night class that happened to fall on those two nights with one slot left so I signed us up last minute and off we went.  Dan and I both feared that they would show us a birthing video which neither one of us really wanted to see.

The class started out great. They took a minute to point out some of the discomforts of pregnancy then showed a picture similar to this to help explain why I feel the way I do.  Look how squished all of my organs are thanks to Baby Girl!


Then they jumped right into labor, starting with the signs of labor and when to get to the hospital.  I really liked how much she mentioned the benefits of laboring at home for as long as possible; Hubby doesn't like this idea and actually wants to find a hotel right next to the hospital to stay in closer to my delivery date so he can get me to the hospital right away.  I was hoping that the teacher strongly pushing laboring at home would get him to lighten up a bit, but he brought up the hotel idea again on the way home from class so I guess it didn't sink in!

They went through all the stages of labor until the actual delivery.  The entire class was focused on natural delivery without any medication.  I was very glad to see this since hospitals have been getting bad reps lately for intervening too much into what is supposed to be a natural process.  My favorite quote from the instructor is that "labor pain is purposeful."  Our natural instinct is to avoid pain at all costs, this is why many women ask for drugs the second they get to the hospital.  They know the pain is going to get bad so they want to avoid it.  But labor hurts for a reason.  Your body morphs to allow the baby to come out, painful, yes, but necessary.  Without drugs inhibiting you, you can feel your body telling you when to push and you have more strength to do so.  Also, walking and changing positions helps decrease the chance of needing a C-Section but with an epidural in your back you can't get out of the bed. 

Whenever I tell anyone that I do not want the epidural they laugh and tell me "just wait!"  I know that I've never experienced anything remotely close to childbirth so I have no idea of how intense the pain is.  But I can learn ways to help cope with the pain and not give in to the epidural. The epidural scares me, I don't want anyone going near my spine with a needle, and I don't want any part of my body to be paralyzed even temporarily.  While I'm sure I will be fighting to just give in and get the drugs, I know it's just temporary pain with an amazing end result.  Our bodies were meant to deliver babies so it must be something I can handle.  And hey, if I do give in, all you nay-sayers can come back and say "told ya so!" and I'll just take it in stride.


The last portion of class was going over relaxation techniques and ways that Hubby can try to help me relieve some of the pain during contractions.  Although I'm getting the impression that Hubby is way more stressed about the delivery than I am so maybe I'll need to recruit a second coach to calm him down!

They did show a lot of video clips including a delivery, but thankfully not from the dreaded angle.  It was more so we could see the facial expressions of the delivering mother and the way her husband coached her.  I really enjoyed the class and am glad we did it.  I am now much less nervous about the process and more confident that I want a drug free delivery.

We'll see what next week's class brings!


4 comments:

  1. Laboring at home is best really. I had my bits rather quickly... Pretty much just a regular day, my water broke, contractions, and a few minutes/ hours later I had my sweet boys. Alaina was different. I was induced because of medical complications and still today wonder why anyone would want to be induced! First the pitocin is more extreme than anything natural, and based on the doctor you can ride a roller of contractions. My experience was horrible! The stress was terrible for both me and Alaina. I have to admit, I was in so much pain from the pitocin that I did ask for an epidural... It was nice, but it didn't cut the pain as significantly as I had hoped, and my husband had to constantly reposition. Did intention with an epidural you have to be catherized

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and while some don't think it's painful... Do you want a tube in an area that is already being traumatized? I think you're smart! :-) the important thing to know is that child birth is personal! Do what is best for you and baby girl and know that if you need anything medically... Everything will be there if needed! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you enjoyed the class! You have a good attitude. When people (females I hope LOL) start with their advice and horror stories tell them to talk to the hand! You are informed and educated, I am sure you can handle it however you decide to bring Baby Veale into this world! I've had all 3 - a c-section, a natural delivery and an epidural delivery. All ended with a sweet bundle and a smile on my face :). Plan to do what is going to work for you! xo

    Nana V.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remind me which hospital you plan to deliver? Inova Alexandria? I had both my girls there and the docs/medical staff there were EXTREMELY supportive of non-medicated deliveries. I was afraid they would push medical intervention on me, even if unnecessary, but they ended up being totally supportive. I was fortunate to have had short, uncomplicated deliveries which certainly made it easier for me to go without epidural/meds. However, I was mentally prepared to go the epidural/medicated route if warranted. Bottom line, go into it educated (which you have done) and stay flexible in your plans--as long as baby Veale gets here safe and sound, the rest is just details.

    ReplyDelete