Thursday, June 14, 2012

Old Wives Tales Battle

I cannot wait to find out if Baby Veale is a he or a she.  In the mean time let's see what the Old Wives Tales have to say about it.  Here are some common one's I've heard:


Old Wives Tale #1:  Cravings Curse
Okay, this one has nothing to do with gender, but I think it’s a good one to share with Dan! Basically if anyone denies a pregnant woman whatever she is craving, they will get a sty in his/her eye.  But he has yet to let me have frozen yogurt for dinner and he hasn't gotten a sty so unfortunately this one is just a myth, haha!

Old Wives Tale #2:  Heart Rate
If the baby’s heart rate is above 140 bpm, it is said that the baby will be a girl.  If it is under 140 bpm, then it will be a boy.  Baby Veale has consistently been above 160. 


Old Wives Tale #3:  Acne
If you have acne while pregnant, it’s a girl.  It’s thought that acne during pregnancy is caused by the extra hormones.  That would be a point for team pink.


 Old Wives Tale #4:  Cravings
People believe that if you are craving salty foods while pregnant, you can count on having a boy.  If you crave sweets, fruit, and orange juice, you are having a little girl.  Well I’ve gone back and forth between wanting salty snacks and fruity treats…so no points either way here.

Old Wives Tale #5:  Dream of Gender of Baby
If you have dreams that you are having a boy, you will have a girl.  If you dream about having a girl, it will be a boy.  Dreams show the opposite of what you are having. I’ve only had one baby dream and it was a girl…so point to the blue team.  

 
Old Wives Tale #6:  Clumsy vs. Graceful
If the pregnant woman is graceful throughout her pregnancy, she’s having a girl.  If she becomes clumsy, she’s having a boy.  Point to the blue team.   



Old Wives Tale #7:  Side You Most Rest On
If a pregnant woman prefers to lay on her left side, she’s having a boy.  If she prefers resting on her right side, she’s having a girl.  I had to ask my doctor if sleeping on my right was safe for the baby because I’m so uncomfortable on my left side, which is recommended.




Old Wives Tale #8:  Morning Sickness
If you had a smooth pregnancy with no morning sickness, it’s a boy.  If you were sick or felt really nauseous during your pregnancy, count on a girl.  Oh evil first trimester, pink point here! 




Old Wives Tale #9:  Protein
When a pregnant woman craves meat and cheese, count on a boy. Meat has been an aversion and cheese is still the same as pre-pregnancy. So I’d say point to team pink here!  

 
Old Wives Tale #10:  Baby Names
It is said that when you can only think of specific names for a boy or a girl, you will have that particularly baby.   We really easily agreed on one specific boy’s name and I love it.  The girl’s name was much more difficult to decide on so I guess that’s a point to team blue!    


FINAL SCORE:
  
The Old Wives seem to think I'm having a girl.  There are two other tales that I cannot answer yet, one is if I'm carrying high or low and the other is if my stomach is the only thing to grow or if everything seems to get bigger.  We'll have to adjust the tally once my belly gets big enough to decide!

I don't think this is a big enough sweep to count on a girl just yet, but we'll find out in about a month!  

No comments:

Post a Comment